Sunday 22 January 2017

Advise to all newbie in the writing industry.

Otard is my first self published book, by Partridge of Singpore.  It covers the encounter and the happening to Otard, as a world brain.  At that time I self-published Otard with Partridge of Singapore (a random house of penguin), I had no idea of Traditional Publishing and self-publishing.  On joining Malaysian  Writers Community,  I learned a lot and  and come to understanding the working of an author and its publisher, editor and Traditional Publishing.  Much thanks is due to Tina Isaacs for accepting me into the community.

I learned my lesson as a self published author and never to do it again.  The service was terrible, and the charges were horrible.  They did not even carried out the work to perfection.  My book was not edited though I paid for the service, when eventually they refund me.  My advice to all newbie in the industry is never to self publish, but to go for Traditional Publishing, and start your career by writing for magazine.  You can write articles or anthology.  To make your work accepted take part in contest.

These is the only way to build a career as a writer.   Have no fear, write, write and write, and until you succeed.  I have submitted to four  different publisher , two contest and an article for magazine and and anthology.  It is a number game. The more you write, the  
more you submit, the more chances  you work will be noticed.  Do not be frightened of rejection.  I had one of my  work rejected, and one anthology and one article not selected for the contest entries.   

 I am still writing.  I believe I will succeed. I   had my latest book  though not completed, read by a Baba Dr Pepper Lim, and he likes the story.  He  gave me a good advise, never pay any publisher, they should pay you. Dr Pepper LIm, is a doctor in Phd.  He even recommend me an editor to help me with my work.  He write for the magazine Just English. The book I am working on is called thee Golden Dawn.  A few days ago, I submitted an article to Chicken Soup.  


To make a career you how must write many article you desire, like how many books you intend to write a year, and how many contest you desire to win, and  and how many anthology you intend to submit for the magazine.  My resolution is to write at least three to five  books a year and enter at least ten contest and  some twenty articles and anthology for the magazine. It is a job where you have to motivate yourself to keep to the date line.  

My pen name is LawrenceQua or Lawrencequaerabob in my book, but my proper name is Qua Hock Seng.  Most author use  pen name  to publish their book, and these sounds better and is  their brand.

Feel free to write to me about my work and advice on action to take as an author as a career, to all newbie.  Beside writing  books, articles and anthology, I read books and listen to music.  To up keep this career, you must be healthy, you need to exercise, and relax your brain through readings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment